Ionic React and React Native are both excellent options for developing apps, but they have significant differences. We examine the differences in depth and suggest which one your team should use.
- The framework & libraries: what pros and cons do I get from the framework or library of choice?
- The team: how convenient is the framework for my existing and future team?
- The backbone: how reliable, available, and supporting are the creators of the framework?
1.Which one is more popular?
Ionic vc React Native npm download
- In Ionic The application code can’t easily access the native functionalities.
- Massive community around the ecosystem. Currently, there are impressive numbers on GitHub repo facebook/react-native. This means that developers are likely to find solutions to the difficulties or issues they are experiencing.
- Ability to be integrated into existing native apps.
- Application’s look and feel as smooth as a native application Reason – React Native is translated to native code, with the benefit of achieving 60 frames per second.
- Every year iOS and Android give OS releases and all these features can be leveraged only in native world.
|Purpose||Learn once, write anywhere||Write once, run anywhere|
|Nature of apps||Cross-platform||Hybrid apps|
|Popular for||Native-like and elegant user interfaces across the platforms||Using a single code base you can develop an app for iOS, Android, Windows, Web, Desktop, and also PWA (Progressive Web Apps)|
|Reusability Of Code||The platform-specific code needs to be changed||Optimum reusability of code|
|Performance||Closer native look and comparatively faster||Slower than React Native due to WebView|
|Code Testing||Needs a real mobile device or emulator to test the code||Using any browser, the code can be tested|
|Learning curve||A steep learning curve||An easy learning curve due to web technologies, Angular, and TypeScript|
|Community and Support||Strong and Stable||Strong and Stable|
|Supported Platforms||Android, iOS, UWP||Android, iOS, UWP (Universal Windows Platform), and PWA|
|Companies Using||Facebook, Instagram, UberEATS, Airbnb||JustWatch, Untappd, Cryptochange, Nationwide, Pacifica, and many more|
Companies using React Native
Choose Ionic, if:
- You’re also planning on building a web or desktop app.
- Your development team is most comfortable with web technologies.
- Performance optimization isn’t critical to your project.
Both Ionic React and React Native are great ways for mobile application development. React Native may be a better option for teams targeting iOS and Android only, with more traditional native developers or advanced js developers and an existing repository of native controls. This describes why React Native is so popular among consumer app start-up companies with a background in native app development.
Ionic React is a better option for teams with traditional web development skills and libraries who would like to focus on mobile and web (as a Progressive Web App). This explains why Ionic has been so effective with start-ups and enterprise teams with a background in web development.
We believe that both developments will exist side by side because they address different requirements in the ecosystem. We are delighted to discuss which platform is best for your team.